Tuesday, December 6, 2011

iPhone Skateboard

I had been thinking earlier in my media choosing process that I would like to use five pictures but am under the belief that I am limited to four. The iPhone skateboard represents two things which I hold dearly to me. 

Watching commercials for fun I saw a phone commercial and it stated something among the lines that your phone is the only item that's usually always within arms distance of a person. I thought about it and realized that it's true. I do everything on my phone. My music is on it, I browse the web on it, watch YouTube videos on it, text message on it, make phone calls with it, take pictures with it, get directions with it, stocks, weather, make reminds, take notes and everything in between. I have literally allowed my phone to become an unattached part of me.

Seeing as this is true, it is a part of my identity not because of what it is, but what it represents to me. My daily life goes along in my pocket, especially my music which is a whole seperate  form of identitifaction.

I have been skating since I was nine I believe. From the age of nine up until sixteen I spent my days with friends skating the streets of the San Fernando Valley. Spending countless hours riding skateboards and forming the best memories I don't even remember, I can honestly say that skateboarding has a part in my heart. The freedom of expression felt underneath my feet when riding a skateboard is ridiculous. Remembering practicing exercises in grade school to become closer to your board I think they worked. Holding it in one hand I feel like the world is my playground free for expression and play. 

A particular moment that I remember in my life had to do with a skateboard. Riding boards down massive hills while sitting down on them was what we were all about in the sixth grade so we did. One particular road by my house was a sidewalk called Speed Demon. Standing at the top of it about to it on my board for a routin ride I set off. Rolling downthe hill I see  my helmet onthe side of the sidewalk and realize I wasn't wearing it. Thinking if I should or shouldn't put it on I put it on for the hell of it. Flying down the hill like normal I lose control of my board and the nose of my board hammers into a tree. Flying forward with all the velocity f the board still applying to my body, my helmet smashes into the tree and cracks in half.

Standing up and brushing myself off I realize what had happened. I think apply to myself that from now on I should be safe in my dangerous actions, and from that day on, I always take more precautions then I need to usually. Supporting my theory about how the past shapes identity it clearly shows that after realizing what the past had brought upon me, I adjusted my characteristics to ensure that a re occurrence of the event was at as minimum of a possibility as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment